1. #Education, is my CA preliminary single subject (secondary) credential valid in Illinois or Iowa?

    I’ve had my credential in secondary English for three years (!) and have yet to find a permanent teaching job in Los Angeles. I’m tired of subbing. I’m concerned about getting BTSA/induction started, provided I could get hired full-time if I decide to move by the summer.

    My initial Googling tells me a California credential should generally be transferable, but I might have to take additional classes or an exam or two. Which exam, though? What kinds of classes? (I understand I’d have to file things and allow bureaucracy to run its course, but I’d like to be able to apply for jobs for fall 2013 in these states as well.)

    Any websites or resources are appreciated!

    [Any thoughts from PPT or GWALP??]

    1. takenbythesky answered: You’ll definitely need to take a class (or few) in Iowa, but I don’t know any more specifics than that. Checkout www.boee…
    2. allisoff-88 said: Check out isbe.state.il.us I’m not sure what you’d have to do to teach in IL, but I’m excited you’re thinking about it!
    3. windycitylibrarian answered: The State BoE is located at isbe.net, but it’s really messy. Look at this first (isbe.net/certifi…)
    4. teachinginthemiddle answered: youve got to look at the specific DOE for the states you’re looking at. it will tell you the requirements and you can cross-check w/ CA
    5. soltarlamaldita reblogged this from twentythreevoices
    6. positivelypersistentteach answered: Each state has its own deal with what states it will take and what requirements you’ll need. Call the state you want to go to DOE
    7. axiom-of-miller said: I feel you, California has not been easy on new teachers!! I’m really worried about my credential expiring since I’m at a private school, and they don’t pay for BTSA… I’d look at the state’s department of education to see what they say :)
    8. twentythreevoices posted this